brett and i were able to go to the dentist (for the first time in an embarrassingly long time) a few weeks ago.
with all their cleaning and jabbing with their prison shanks they made something bigger...
the gap in my two front teeth.
when brett and i first moved here to tooele, the permanent retainer behind my two front teeth broke off as i ate a delicious breakfast bagel.
and since then the gap has grown bigger and bigger
and now i feel like it's gotten so freaking huge.
my lips get caught in it but yet i can make some awesome noises to entertain everton and it sure is easy to floss.
my gap makes me self conscious. when i was little an idiot kid made fun of my teeth, which i'm sure if that kid said the same thing now he'd be getting a gap in his face.
i had braces when i was a teenager and i was obedient with wearing my retainers.
so when brett and i had gone to the dentist recently, dr. S and i had talked about finally closing up my gap.
but he said that would mean clear braces. but just the top row, for 9 months. that's a pregnancy time span! i had braces back in middle school for about 15mos.
i ALREADY DID MY TIME. braces meant a lot of money we don't have and after the braces get taken off i would have to wear retainers for the rest of my life.
another dentist had suggested that i could get it filled in but turns out he's talking about veneers and dr. S that could damage my teeth.
i've been back and forth as to whether or not i should get braces. and dr. S said he'll knock off $500 if i get em done before the end of the year. so i feel a little pressured now.
i miss my smile when i look back at pictures so lately i've doing my own dental work via picture editing programs.
i'm a fraud i know.
i think to myself, well if i get braces now i could just get it over with and have practically perfect teeth forever. OR i could save the money and keep filling in my gap with a paintbrush on the computer. OR i could embrace my gap and not be so conscious of it, knowing that it's what makes me me and just leave it alone in pictures.
i've been noticing lately though that there are actually a lot of celebrities with gap teeth. ex, madonna, anna paquin, models (even a victoria's secret model!) and eddie murphy? david letterman? and let's not forget the wife of bath from the canterbury tales by chaucer.
and according to this article , gap toothed women are TOTALLY in.
gap teeth can be considered stylish or even sexay!
but it's not like i'm getting paid for my gap-y smile. i'm so grateful for the fact that i even have teeth and that i live in a country that has great dental care.
i just keep seeing this in the mirror.
when in reality this is what i see.
the decision for a brace face or a gap face awaits.
but i learned that gap teeth in france means teeth of happiness!



i love you alyssa! you make me smile...and i love your gap. it's cute.
ReplyDeleteI have a little tooth on the right side of my mouth that drives me completely crazy too!! it leaves a big gap. but I've found that I notice it WAY more than everyone else does!
ReplyDeleteI think your super cute no matter what! :)
I love that you fix your teeth in your pictures, love it. :) If I could do that with my one tooth that is going back into the back of my mouth because I didn't wear my retainers after I had braces I would too, because it's pretty much all I see when I see a picture of myself. But like Aubrey said, I think (hopefully!) I notice it way more than anyone else does. :)
ReplyDeleteMy dad has a gap in his front teeth! :)
ReplyDelete